Published on April 04, 2011 Online Shop Design: Say no to clunky and hello to sensational
Web Design is a bit like fashion – there are always the latest trends, the latest flavours, the “in” colours and styles. But the basics never change. You need to make your customers feel comfortable and cared for if you want them to part with their money. Flatter your customers with an easy to use buying experience and a design that just oozes exceptional and you’re well on the way to converting store browsers into buyers. And them remembering where they bought it from.
Clunky web designs are a thing of the past, and although some website template companies are still producing tens and even hundreds of clunky, retro designs, you won’t see any from us. We aim to make it hard to choose the base design for your store by offering a fantastic selection of sensational designs that you will want to promote. That you’ll be excited to tell your customers about and promote in offline newsletters or to tell the people that you meet about. And when they get to your site, whet their appetite with appealing product pages, an easy add-to-cart experience and world-class, easy-to-use checkout with powerful features as well.
To say no to clunky:
- Get rid of the bulky headers. If your fonts and sideboxes are web 2.0, then that’s fine, but if they’re 80s nostalgia, its time for a makeover
- Kill the messy fonts. You’re Mum told you to clean your room as a child and you might not have listened to her. So take her advice now – a clean, professional look is going to win you more positive purchases than a messy, ugly, eyesaw. Don’t be overly clever with font colours and we beg you: say no to flashing text and ugly underlines that aren’t links
- Should you use clipart in your website? No, no, no, no, NO! It might be okay on eBay, but Clipart in a professional website is 9 times out of 10 a big no no. Don’t use it unless it’s part of your brand (or if you’re selling clipart).
- Slow loading pages will turn off your buyers, so ditch the giant images. Keep all shop images 1024 x 768 pixels or less, unless you have special loading software in your site designed to handle bigger images without hurting your page load times. It’s not like a real shop: customers won’t hang around for you to open, if they can’t find what they want in the first few seconds or they think that they won’t find it (even if it’s there), then you’ll lose them. And there are too many sites on the Internet for them to be bothered to come back. Assume you have just one chance to impress and take advantage of it.
- Go with a sleek online shop design that is appealing on the eye, has a colour scheme that works together and has cleanly written text and product photos. Less is definitely more, and you don’t have to clutter your page with flashing banners for your store to be successful.
At Ozcart, we create clean, professional looks that we use as the base designs for customer sites – and then we personalise them for your business. That gives you the benefit of our designer’s experiences plus the brand power of a site that reflects the look, tone and feel of your business. Anything less than sensational is not good enough for us. We want the best ecommerce shops for our customers – that’s why you’re in business and it’s why we’re here to help.