08 Dec Should you use a Press Release for your small business?
Can press releases help or hurt your shopping cart website?
Google and Press Releases
News angles and audiences for a press release
What makes a newsworthy angle for an online store?
- What is it that is new? Why is your shop or are your products different from all the other online stores out there?
- Is there a human interest angle? Perhaps a new use for your products or services, a way in which the products or services can help people? What are specific examples of this? Even in dry topics like finance and industrial engineering, journalists like crunchy information with a usage theme
- Who are the key people who benefit from your product or service? If your website or business is not already well known, is there a relationship between your company and someone else making the news already?
- Do you have any useful industry facts or information that you can announce as part of your release that other companies have not?
- Is the timing of your launch, product or event relevant? Can this be tied to any other relevant events/lives in the news of your target audience? For example, if you’re launching a new type of pet fashion, is this in conjunction with a major fair or event? With Christmas coming up, is there a link to Christmas? Or Easter? Or a new government policy? Or the end of the financial year? Be creative and think about what might interest the readers of the online or offline publications you are targeting.
Picking the best angle – you must know your journalist’s readers
Writing your news release
- 2-3 sentences max
- 50 words max
- Can you tweet it?
- Are ALL your points covered in the first paragraph?
- Is it news worthy?
- WHY is this new or different from everything else?
- WHY is this relevant or interesting to the end readers?
- Use short sentences (throughout your release). No jargon.
Titles of news releases
Writing releases to avoid Google penalties
- Make sure you have a news angle and are not just dumping news with the hope of getting a back link
- Follow all of the opening paragraph writing rules mentioned above
- Keep the release as short as possible. It’s not a book, its a quick, useful, relevant announcement. Unless the news value of the release warrants it, make sure the whole release fits on a page – preferably 4-5 paragraphs maximum
- Include a contact reference. Mark the end of the release with the words ENDS and then the contact details of the person who can provide additional information for journalists